Saturday, March 19, 2005

Ask a silly question....

I got one of "those" emails the other day, and actually decided it would be fun to respond to it (really). But then I realized... if I'm going to take the time to fill this out, I'm darn well going to use it toward my recently deficient blog quota. So I'm posting it here instead of sending it to anyone. That way, no one will ever know. ;)

1. What is your first name? Andy
2. Were you named after anyone? No, and for that reason I actually managed to start a sort of silent family feud before I was even born. Although I do get some sort of quirky secret pleasure out of this, I really wish I was named after my great-uncle Jesse. The only reason I wasn't is that it was such a popular girl's name at the time, but I think Jesse is the coolest name ever for a guy, except for the ones whos last name is Hessie. My first son will be named Jesse, if I can help it.
3. Do you wish on stars? No, I find it more effective to pray to the almighty God, the maker of the stars and of earth and of me, made possible by the redeeming blood of Jesus Christ our Lord.
4. When did you last cry? It was last Sunday, while in church listening to this sermon.
5. Do you have siblings? Yes, one sister, 5 years younger (and married... with kids.. and house... grrrr. Oh, wait... I have a Tanzer 16 , she doesn't. Ok, I'm better now). :P
6. What is your favorite lunch meat? Yes
7. What is your birth date? January 20, 1975 (first 1975 baby in my hospital!)
8. What is your most embarrassing CD? Well, not one in particular, but I am sort of embarrassed that approximately half of my CD collection is of organ music. But really, why shouldn't the coolest instrument in the history of the world be the mainstay of my collection? I do admit, however, to turning it WAY down at intersections.
9. If you were another person, would YOU be friends with you? Well, I think we'd get along ok, but I usually hang out more with people who have different interests than me... I learn more that way.
10. Are you a daredevil? Well, I've rock climbed, ski'd over small cliffs, driven cars with known non-functional brakes, gone sailing alone on the nation's largest non-Great Lake on a very windy day without knowing how, ridden motorcycles without a helmet. No. Yes, I've done all these things, but if I was a daredevil I'd be dead or at least have broken a pinky-toe or something by now. I'm overly cautious and I'm reluctant to do anything if I think it might hurt. By the way, the second most dangerous thing I've ever attempted (driving a car being the first) is attempting to learn to snowboard (which does hurt, and I plan to actually keep doing it).
11. Have you ever told a secret you swore not to tell? I hope not. Probably have.
12. Do looks matter? Yes. Just the other week I bought a jacket that I chose over the other options almost solely on how it looked (only other factor was price).
13. How do you release anger? By working on my to-do list. I can accomplish 10 times as much when I'm angry, bringing me almost up to the same productivity as normal people. Unfortunately, I'm very rarely angry.
14. Where is your second home? Funny you should ask that. Two years ago, Burlington Vermont was my second home, and I finally realized that that is where I should live. Now its my first home, and I don't really need a second home anymore.
15. Do you trust others easily? Hmmm.... why do you want to know?
16. What was your favorite toy as a child? Age 0-2, a yellow stuffed bunny; age 2-5 Tonka trucks; age 5-10 tinkertoys and leggos etc; age 10-16 off-road motorcycle; age 16-20 radio-controlled airplanes; age 20-25 yeah right I was in college; age 25 to present, sailboat. It'll probably stay there for a while. (All ages very apporoximate).
17. What class in high school do you think was totally useless? Heh. Can't remember.
18. Do you have a journal? Yes, several. Each has one or two pages of real deep thoughts. The remaining pages are empty.
19. Do you use sarcasm a lot? Oh, no. Uh, uh. Nope.
20. What are your nicknames? Handy Andy seems to be the best anyone can come up with, which has me worried about what they might be coming up with and not telling me...
21. Would you bungee jump? Doubtful. I would like to, I really would. But when I vomit, I prefer that it ends up below me, not above me.
22. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? I've tried not doing it... they will not come off. Except my loafers or boat shoes or whatever you call them. Gotta love shoes that you can wear to church, and yet with shorts and no socks, go sailing with them. I never untie those.
23. Do you think you are strong? When I'm in the gym (which is never), no. When I'm among mostly city-raised people doing manual labor of some sort in a group, yes.
24. What is your favorite ice cream flavor? Red raspberry, which I've only seen once in my life. If anyone finds some, please email me immediately!
25. What is your shoe size? What on earth do you think you are going to learn about me from my answer to this question??!! oh...
26. Red or pink? Absolutely. Oh, you mean on me? Green.
27. What is your least favorite thing about yourself? I have trouble showing emotion.
28. Who do you miss most? Oh man. No fair! Maybe I'll come back to this one.
29. Do you want everyone you sent this to to send it back? Definitely. But then, I didn't send it to anybody.
30. What color pants & shoes are you wearing? Tan/Black. I was expecting to be working on my car, but it mysteriously fixed itself.
31. What are you listening to right now? The sound of stuck, spinning car to the north; computer fan to the east; passing cars to the south; west pretty quiet today.
32. What is the last thing you ate? Yogurt
33. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? Oh, that's easy. White. White crayons stay sharp forever.
34. What is the weather like right now? Turning into the day of the year, actually! Granted, we're barely over 2 months into the year, but I'm itching to get out. Only 23 questions to go...
35. Who is the last person you talked to on the phone? A guy at work about work.
36. What is the first thing you notice about the opposite sex? Hair (Hey, quit rolling your eyes... its true!)
37. Do you like the person who sent this to you? What kind of question is THAT?
38. What is your favorite drink? Cold Hollow apple cider. Mmmm...
39. Favorite sport? Sailing. Except I refuse to make it a sport :) Unless the contest is whoever is having the most fun, wins. Or whoever has the most non-mainstream boat. Etc.
40. Hair color? Dark (black? brown?).
41. Eye color? Brown
42. Do you wear contacts? Never tried it. I guess I just like my glasses.
43. Favorite food? Leftovers... so easy to make!
44. What was the last movie you watched? Napolean Dynamite. See previous post.
45. Favorite day of the year? That day in April or March... you know the one I mean. The only day of the year normal people can wear shorts and see snow on the ground.
Hey, this day finally came: 4/6/05
46. Scary movies or happy endings? Neither. Give me Spitfire Grill, Ladykillers, or anything that's kind of different.
47. Summer or winter? Used to be winter, before I got into sailing.
48. Hugs OR kisses? Haven't had much practice with the second one... not sure its a fair question. Suffice it to say, if from Dad... you know the answer.
49. Favorite Desert? Vanilla ice cream, with maple syrup on it.
50. Who is most likely to respond? N/A (sort of)
51. Least likely? see above
52. Living arrangements? Oh, if you only knew. What a story. Ask me sometime.
53. What books are you reading? Might be more productive to ask "what books would I be reading if I wasn't going to school part time and working full time?". Well, I'd start by reading the last book of the CS Lewis space trilogy that I started ages ago. What to read next? I have a few ideas, but please send your suggestions!
54. What's on your mouse pad? I have a laptop. If I had a mouse pad, it would definitely be Homestarrunner.
55. What did you watch last night on TV? I don't remember the last time I watched TV. Oh, yes I do... I watched the superbowl with friends. But I actually only watched the ads, and was somewhat disappointed with most of them this year. Except the "robber in the store" one. Hilarious!!! Anyone remember the product being advertised? Not me!
56. What is your favorite smell? Easiest question yet. Maple sap being made into maple syrup over a hardwood fire.
57. Rolling Stones or the Beatles? Beatles hands down, though I'm not sure its the right question. Grateful Dead vs The Beatles? Oh man. Harder yet... Phish vs The Beatles. Ok, I give up.
58. What is the furthest you've been from home? VERY embarrassed to say... Texas (nothing wrong with Texas, except that the only difference between it and Mars is the billboards and oil pumps... its just not that far away from me).

9 cool people commented so far!

Blogger ukok wrote something to the effect of...

I don't know how i landed here on your blog (No, the dent isn't as big as it looks, honest), but that made for interesting reading :)

God Bless

at exactly April 07, 2005 ish  
Blogger AndyOfVermont wrote something to the effect of...

Ah, don't you love that word... interesting. "How do you like my new do?". "It's, uh... interesting". No,no, you don't seem to mean it that way. :) Thanks! Now I'll check out yours....

at exactly April 07, 2005 ish  
Blogger AndyOfVermont wrote something to the effect of...

Thanks! This is my favorite post so far... was the most fun to write.

at exactly April 12, 2005 ish  
Anonymous Anonymous wrote something to the effect of...

i disagree with "one of THOSE emails". i Love those emails! I Always find out something about someone I know...that I didn't before. I like all that stuff that says "Oh--your name's X ? then, you must be loving, caring, and quite a good belcher, as people are who are born with your name..." there's a hidden meaning for everything. if you like chocolate, than that means that you blah blah blah. 'cause you can never Just like chocolate, with no ulterior chocolate motive~ WHO KNEW?

at exactly April 17, 2005 ish  
Blogger AndyOfVermont wrote something to the effect of...

who says I don't love them too? :P

Sounds like you're one of those category people. Argh... I just categorized you. AARRRggghhh. I can't escape!!!!!!!!!

:P

at exactly April 17, 2005 ish  
Blogger AndyOfVermont wrote something to the effect of...

Never too late for a comment! Thanks! In fact, you are helping me on my quest to stop the only-the-newest-post-counts-while-everything-else-is-forgotten-forever phenomenon of blogging.

at exactly August 02, 2005 ish  
Anonymous Anonymous wrote something to the effect of...

Andy
I am going to sneak this away for my blog today...hahaha

at exactly December 06, 2006 ish  
Anonymous Anonymous wrote something to the effect of...

Andy I just reread this and realised that you didnt really answer a lot of the important questions..you put down answers ...but yu didnt answer them...so I don't know ANYTHING about you really......

at exactly August 06, 2007 ish  
Blogger AndyOfVermont wrote something to the effect of...

I purposely keep a certain level of mystery in my blog, since the entire world has access to it and I don't necessarily want the whole world to know everything about me. The answers you are referring to were intended to be witty avoidance of the real question. IM, phone calls, emails, face-to-face conversations, etc with a specific person are where the questions will really get answered, if asked. But does the blog really say NOTHING about me? I have a hard time believing that. Even the manner (hopefully humorous) in which I avoid answering certain questions directly says something about me, I think. The topics I post about, the pictures I take, the music I write about. Does it really say nothing whatsoever? But, yes, if you want to get below the surface, the blog is not going to be much help. Just a starting point... a catalyst for conversation. That's really all it is meant to be.

at exactly August 10, 2007 ish  

Post a Comment

<< Back to "Beating to Windward" Mainpage