Monday, March 14, 2005

Napolean Dynamite

I watched Napolean Dynamite late on Saturday night with a friend. She'd heard good things about it, I thought it looked funny, so we grabbed it (after the usual hour or more of hmmm'ing and ha'ing... which is why it was late on a Saturday night instead of early). :) We both thought it would be a good late night, barely awake, laughing movie.

Ha! All through the movie we were like "what?". It was so weird and random and pointless! When it was over we both sort of apologized for having made the other suffer through it, and I went home.

Next day though... we started talking about it, imitating parts of it, remembering quotes, laughing about it. Then I remembered that's how it is with The Princess Bride and Monty Python. You watch it and its like "what?" but you remember it later and it seems hilarious. Maybe that's a requirement of "cult" movies... that they are weird and random and pointless when you watch them. Maybe Napolean Dynamite is a pretty good movie after all. The trick is to watch it a few more times... and then never again. Just like The Princess Bride and Monty Python and Sesame Street... stuff that's much more fun to remember than to actually watch. I guess I'd have to admit that's better than laughing myself inside out during the movie... and then forgetting about it forever.